Shopping for groceries was limited to physical stores a few decades back. Although people still love to buy groceries from stores, online grocery applications have transformed business models. Today, every business in the food & grocery industry is focusing on how to draw customers right from their doorsteps by consulting the best online food delivery app development company.
In the run to achieve this, entrepreneurs in the grocery industry are targeting to build an app like Blinkit. Why Blinkit? Because the company has set some brilliant standards for the grocery industry by applying the capabilities of Digital Solutions.
Analyzing the standards, more entrepreneurs are building their idea to build an app like Blinkit. But, it is tough for entrepreneurs from non-technical backgrounds to master mobile app development knowledge. This blog will act as a sole guide if you are from a non-technical background and want to build an app like Blinkit. From the Blinkit company to its business model and steps to build an app like Blinkit, we will cover everything.
Table of Contents
About Blinkit- Let’s Blink It
Blinkit is a Gurugram, India-based startup founded in 2013 by Saurabh Kumar and Albinder Dhindsa. When the company was started it was named Groceries. It was providing online delivery to a range of products from baby care items to groceries and bakery items.
Today, the company is operating in 28 cities making it one of the fastest-growing and largest on-demand grocery delivery companies. The mission of Blinkit is “instant commerce indistinguishable from magic.” In the next 5 years, the company aims to be 100x of its size.
Blinkit Business and Revenue Model
Being one of the best grocery delivery applications, Blinkit’s business model revolves around utilizing the power of technology. The company operates on a marketplace model where it connects customers to nearby retail stores and delivery partners to deliver the product right to the doorsteps of the company. Users, Delivery partners, and inventory are three main elements of Blinkit’s business model.
Considering the revenue model, Blinkit follows a commission-based revenue model where it stores items and its warehouses and employs delivery partners. On every order, the company nearly earns 8-15% of the revenue on the total value of the product.
In the financial year 2022, the company earned revenue of INR 26.16 Billions from its operations. Here is the chart displaying the statistics published by Statistia.
How Does Blinkit Work?
The working of the Blinkit is complex. Although the company tries their best to deliver the grocery items at the quickest, there are certain steps taking place in the background.
- The customer places an order from the application.
- The company connects with the nearest retail stores for the selected items in the backend.
- Retail store accepts the order and packs it.
- Blinkit connects delivery partners once the order is processed.
- The delivery partner takes the order and reaches to the doorstep of the customer
Features Of Online Grocery Application Like Blinkit
While talking about the features of grocery delivery applications development like Blinkit, we have to consider multiple entities. These entities involve Customers, an Admin panel, Delivery Partners, and Retail Stores. We have to consider the features of all of these entities.
Customer Side Application Features
- Profile creation and modification
- Register, Login
- Grocery search bar
- Location/Address addition
- Grocery stores
- Cart feature
- Order Scheduling
- Payment gateways
- Manage orders
- Payment/Order history
- Order tracking in real time
- Reviews and Ratings
- Customer support
- Profile management
- Home Dashboard
- Content and order management
- Detailed analytics
- Schemes and offer management
- Loyalty program analysis
Delivery Partner Side App
- Login/Sign up
- Verification process
- Order management
- Maps and tracking feature
- Status update
- Delivered orders management and history
- Digital wallet
Grocery Store Side Panel
- Order and inventory management
- Push notification for orders
- Choice option to accept or reject orders
- In app calling/texting
- Payment management
- Customer support
- Feedback management
How To Build An App Like Blinkit?
Mobile app development process takes time and to build an app like Blinkit you have to go through multiple phases of the app development lifecycle.
It is one of the most important phases in the mobile app development cycle. Every best online food delivery app development company suggests a discovery phase to the entrepreneurs so that they can test and polish their idea. From discovering all possible business and user needs to get the necessary feedback to enrich the app idea, the discovery phase requires a lot of activities.
The best food delivery mobile app development company ensures a prototype in the form of Minimum viable products that businesses can share with the targeted audience to collect feedback. All the things that might have been missed in the starting can be fixed with the discovery phase.
Nearly 42% of the startups fail due to the lack of proper research in the starting. You can reduce the risk of your app idea failure significantly by focusing on the discovery phase.
Now comes the app design phase. Here your restaurant app development company will focus on building user experience, app screens, and graphical elements. This phase is highly important because a large number of users abandon an application if its design does not meet the requirements. So, what are the elements involved in this phase?
- Wireframing: It is a rough diagram of the mobile app screens typically made on paper. The tools used for designing wireframing are Adobe XD, Figma, and Sketch.
- Prototyping: Here the design team converts wireframing into a digital product. It is a form of capturing the ideas to test on users. Businesses can further take feedback for their design and polish it to produce the best product.
- Designing the screens: Now comes the important part. Here your Food delivery mobile app development company designs all the features and completes the mobile app screens. It also includes the testing of the designs.
In the development phase, the design meets its functionalities. The backend team and front end team collaboratively work to make your product alive in terms of functionalities. In this phase here are the important aspects:
- Defining the technical architecture
- Picking the technology stack
- Defining the development milestones
You can choose from cross-platform, native, and progressive web app development. For cross-platform, React Native and Flutter are the most dominating technologies. And, for the native, swift is used for iOS, and Kotlin is highly used for building Android applications.
Quality Assurance and Testing
The quality assurance and testing phase determines if your application has any possible bugs and errors or not. Whatever errors are found in your app they are sent back to the development team for correction. Until all the bugs are removed, the application does not go into the launch phase. Here are the stages in QA process:
- Analyzing the requirements by discussing them with the design and development team. Then the application is planned for comprehensive testing to trace the required and possible errors.
- Designing the tests! The QA team designs the testing process in alignment with the analyzed and planned requirements. Database and system settings are also tested in this phase for smooth processing of the grocery application.
- Running the tests and reporting the defects to the development team. Once the team identifies errors they send it to the developers for rectification. This cycle keeps on going until the application is bugs free.
After your development team finishes designing, developing, and testing the application, it is then transferred to the marketing team. Here your application is optimized for visibility on the app markets.
Optimizing the keywords in the app description, performing social media marketing, releasing the announcements in the press, and producing regular content on your website are a few of the strategies that the marketing team applies to market your grocery app.
A good marketing team delivers the required downloads on your application and presents the solution that your app promises to the audience.
Ready To Build An App Like Blinkit? We Can Help You!
We are a leading Food ordering & delivery app development company. If you are looking for on-demand food delivery app services in India, we are just a click away from the consultation call. No matter if you want to build a grocery app or an app for your restaurant, our experts have years of experience in building applications that promise revenue and growth. We follow a custom-centric approach to deploying applications that your end users will love.